Monday 7 February 2011

The trials and tribulations of a home brewer

So late last year I decided I would give home brewing a bash. With all the kit ordered I was like a giddy child at Christmas when it finally arrived. The first attempt at brewing was a woodfordes wherry kit shortly followed by a coopers Mexican cerveza. Needless to say the lager was not up to standard and further reinforced my views on the weak watery piss that taints the good name of proper beer everywhere. Anyway, fast forward 2 months for the wherry to condition and it was the moment of truth for the endless weeks waiting for it to condition. With a select tastig panel (those friends of mine willing to risk upset stomachs and possible vomiting for the cause) assembled it was time to taste. First impressions were good; the beer had a mellow flavour with a subtle bitterness.


So what have I learnt from this episode? First things first, hombrewed lager is rubbish. I'll stick to ales and cider from now on. Secondly, it is possible to brew a reasonable ale in a run down student flat. Watch this space for news of future endeavours.

No comments:

Post a Comment